Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Spring cleaning & my birthday gift




Spring has sprung. Today was a balmy 75, sunny and breezy. A beautiful day. I threw open the (dirty) windows and decided it was too beautiful to stay inside and clean (although that's what I SHOULD have done) much of it was spent outdoors. Faith and I played baseball, I cleaned up the flower beds & the garage and sorted several boxes of items to "keep" or "toss" while she rode her bike. It was a productive day.

For my birthday in January, my husband gave me the gift of all gifts. It was truly the most thoughtful present I have ever received and something I have always dreamed about. No it wasn't a piece of jewelry, the car of my dreams or a shopping spree. Although all those wouldn't be bad either. But it was thoughtful and I am really into thoughtful. When I give a gift, that's what I shoot for. So drumroll please - My husband gave me my very own room. (Sigh) Just what I always wanted. A room of my own, to paint in, sew in, create, write.... He had a little help from Mr. Hudson, (our beloved elderly neighbor) and they did a wonderful job.

The room is in our garage and when we bought the house, it was actually the tanning bed room. And quite honestly it is more along the size of a closet but it is my closet and I love it. It has laminate floors, heated & cooled, my Dad wired it for cable, white shelves along the wall with a sparkling new countertop. I painted it a pretty pink with black baskets on the shelves and framed vintage dress patterns on the wall and it is mine all mine. Today I sorted through my many boxes of fabric, thread, patterns, paints, brushes, etc. and put them all lovingly in place. Oh, the hours I could spend in there. Now if I could just find the time. Maybe when Faith starts kindergarten!!!

No comments: