Monday, April 30, 2007

Getting geared up

We're getting geared up - for summer that is. Because it is definitely upon us. A hot and humid 91 in KY today. In APRIL for heavens sake. Mr. T. and I were busy this weekend opening the pool, cleaning off the patio, funiture, etc. After a few more days like today, it won't take long to get that water warmed up and I will be laying on my float, book in hand soaking up the sunshine.

We've got a busy summer ahead, as I'm sure most of you do. Preschool is over for Faith May 9th. She has her graduation ceremony on May the 8th (complete with a cap & gown). T-ball starts for her a few days after that and she is also doing a gymnastics class one day a week this summer and Mother's Day out at her preschool 2 days a week. Wesley made the Middle school basketball summer team so we will have his practices and games. He gets out of school May 17th and a few days later Mr. T and I leave for an adult only vacation. SIX glorious days, no kids, no phones, no mouths to feed, no laundry or cleaning, just us. We are going on a cruise and really looking forward to it. (20 days and counting until we leave) It's one of our favorite things to do.

It's funny, you tell people you're going on vacation and the first thing they ask is "Where are you going?", the 2nd thing they ask is "Are you taking the kids?" Ummm, NO, not on a cruise. There are certain places that are not kid friendly and in my opinion, a cruise is one of them. (Unless it's a Disney cruise). 3rd question is "Won't you miss them? I don't think I could leave my kids for that long." Yes, I'll miss them, but I am a parent 365 days a year, I have no family close by and no sitter, our lives revolve around the kids. Shoot me, but I don't feel guilty and I definitely feel entitled. I'll be glad to see them when I get home but everyone deserves a break. My husband and I also deserve some re-connecting time. So No, I don't feel guilty.

We also plan on a few trips with the kids this summer. Probably a long weekend trip to my parents in Indianapolis. They have a terrific Children's Museum and also a zoo. I am also going to be brave and take Wesley and a few of his friends to King's Island (an amusement & water park) in Cincinnat, OH because he has done so well in school this year. So far perfect attendance and honor roll all year in addition to being on the winter & summer basketball team. He's a good kid and deserves a treat. So that's about it for our summer plans. June will be busy. Busier than I would like, but July is pretty uneventful. T-ball will be over the end of June as will basketball so July will be a relaxing, enjoy-the-summer month.

So what are your plans??

No comments: