Monday, April 9, 2007

Easter



Easter is over. Not one of my favorite holidays. Anything that involves candy is not tops on my list. We had a nice day though, a little cold (50). Compared to the 80 degree weather we have been having earlier in the week.

We missed the Easter egg hunt at church the previous weekend because I had gotten tickets to see the Doodlebops Live and it was the same time as the egg hunt. Therefore a hunt took place in our house (due to the cold weather) and Faith was just as excited about it. Please notice the gorgeous jewelry ensemble that Faith wore given to her by our neighbors (instead of candy.) Complete with clip-on earrings, whooo hoo what a treat. Just glad she didn't want to wear it to church on Sunday.

Faith was adorned in her new Easter dress minus the bonnet and white kid gloves that I always had to wear as a child for Easter. Her dress was so pretty but it was too cold to wear without a sweater to church so that was a big issue Sunday morning as we are rushing (as usual) to get to church.

Church is a big part of our lives. If I miss church on Sunday, my week feels so off. I Love, love, love our church. I love the spiritual feeling, I love the church members and the love they have for me and my family, I love the friends I've made and I love all the activities at church. I am very involved in our church. I spend about 4 hours a week at church. We go on Wednesday nights (as most Baptists do). I am a youth group leader and love the kids that I work with. On Sundays I am an assistant teacher in the Preschool Sunday school class and then we go to Sunday services.

I was raised Catholic so becoming a Baptist a few years ago was a big change from what I had known most of my life. I have always questioned the Catholic faith and still do, so when I started attending a Baptist church, it seemed like I had finally found my place. This has become a big deal with my Catholic parents. My dad feels that since none of my children were never baptized as infants (something Catholics do) should they die, they will rest in hell for all eternity. OK, we are talking about young children. Baptists believe that you, as a person decide when you want to be baptized, when you feel the calling to be saved and have a closer relationship with God. I find it hard to believe that my innocent 4 year old daughter would be condemned to an eternity in hell. But, that's just me. I also question the need to tell a priest all my sins and the mistakes I have made, in a confessional. Can't the Good Lord hear me just fine?? I was always taught that when I prayed, He would hear me. Why the need for a mediator?? A man to dole out my "punishment" with 3 Our Fathers and 3 Hail Mary's? Shouldn't that be God's task, not some faceless man sitting in a box that doesn't even know me or my remorse for my wrongdoings? I can't say I completely agree with everything that Baptists believe though either. I guess I just have more tolerance for their beliefs than how I was raised. For example: Baptists do not drink alcohol. Ever. There was a lot of wine drinking in the Bible, what makes it so wrong if I have a glass or two? Although my reasons for drinking aren't holy one's, I honestly don't see the harm. Also gambling is a big No-No. That includes raffles, bingo, the lottery, casinos. If it's my money and I don't lose the farm, the house, can feed my children next week and don't need to become a member of Gambler's Anonymous what's the big deal?? After all, it is MY money.

I guess all religions have their own issues and we can't agree with all of them but I do like knowing I belong to a group of people that know and believe that God exists, that He is there for me, that He hears me when I pray. It gives me a great deal of comfort and peace in this crazy world I live in.

No comments: